Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am

Nice. You'll have that one done soon.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby SBP78g60 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 am

Got this today, found it on Gumtree only 5 minute's from my house. Very happy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby SBP78g60 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:28 am

will post more pics soon, i have lots of body work to do
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

Postby SBP78g60 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:04 am

more, sorry for the photo quality. can see old repairs on the rear of the tub.
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

Postby SBP78g60 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:57 am

hey all, been very busy with new baby and work to have much time to work on my patrol, but i carved out some time today and after attempting to repair the rear tub of my 60, and finding nothing but bad patches and rust, even expanding foam, the decision has been made to cut it all off and build from scratch, also trimmed the rear wheel arches up by 30mm to get rid of rust and about 40 thousand tec screw holes in the lip from the flares. sorry for the photo quality
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

Postby SBP78g60 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:32 am

Started to re enforce the corner that was missing, the whole back corner of the tub used to move
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 am

Great progress! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be following closely your progress to get ideas on how to fix a problem that I have on mine. Bodywork is something that I've never done, and the time is approaching fast.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby SBP78g60 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks Esteban! I'll take plenty of photos as I go along then, im new to bodywork like this also, i find it pretty enjoyable so far, what issue do you have? Because I have many, so chances are I might have the same problem?
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 am

SBP78g60 wrote:Thanks Esteban! I'll take plenty of photos as I go along then, im new to bodywork like this also, i find it pretty enjoyable so far, what issue do you have? Because I have many, so chances are I might have the same problem?

Thanks for the help. I don't want to hijack your thread.

The rust problem I have has been neglected for a long time. I'm embarrassed to take a picture of how it looks. :oops: However I found in my office computer a photo from where the clip below shows the damaged area (picture from 3 or 4 yrs ago).

Many years ago I had somebody run into the back of my Patrol (actually I hit the brakes on purpose... :evil: ). Put a nice imprint of the spare tire in a Chevy van. Due to that some years later they had to replace part of the back panel behind the tire carrier. Rust was never a major issue where I used to live, so they never did a good job protecting underneath. The rust started from the inside between a reinforcement angle and the quarter panel.

My next door neighbor has a MIG welder that he's beginning to do some decent welds. I will need to use his help, but I'm clueless of this process. Don't want to take the tub apart, but rather work in place at the moment.

Rust problem.JPG
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby SBP78g60 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 am

Esteban wrote:
SBP78g60 wrote:Thanks Esteban! I'll take plenty of photos as I go along then, im new to bodywork like this also, i find it pretty enjoyable so far, what issue do you have? Because I have many, so chances are I might have the same problem?

Thanks for the help. I don't want to hijack your thread.

The rust problem I have has been neglected for a long time. I'm embarrassed to take a picture of how it looks. :oops: However I found in my office computer a photo from where the clip below shows the damaged area (picture from 3 or 4 yrs ago).

Many years ago I had somebody run into the back of my Patrol (actually I hit the brakes on purpose... :evil: ). Put a nice imprint of the spare tire in a Chevy van. Due to that some years later they had to replace part of the back panel behind the tire carrier. Rust was never a major issue where I used to live, so they never did a good job protecting underneath. The rust started from the inside between a reinforcement angle and the quarter panel.

My next door neighbor has a MIG welder that he's beginning to do some decent welds. I will need to use his help, but I'm clueless of this process. Don't want to take the tub apart, but rather work in place at the moment.

Rust problem.JPG

oh that sucks i hope his van still has a rim imprinted on it, yeah that brace has moved you can even see the 3 spot welds that hold it in place buldging out from it, probs cracked and exposed fresh metal where the rust started. too me (and im no expert) it looks like you will need to take it apart a little, that looks like you will need drill out that brace so you can clean it up, cut out that rust,patch it proberly by stich welding in a small peice of sheet and spot weld the brace back in, it looks too me like if the brace doesnt get cleaned up where it meets the quater panel the rust will just come back. dam chevy van!

i only just removed that brace from mine and unpicked all of that side, ill post plenty of photos on the weekend if that helps at all..

shayn.
78 mwb softop
SBP78g60 Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects