Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:35 pm

You can say that again.
No pressure really, just wanting the option of a decent hood.
Biggest issue is taking care not to scratch paint etc at this late stage.
I found another hinge style that I like, which I will explore further.
Not to buy but to consider the action principle for movement.
It seems that is for an early C10, so if anybody has measurements please offer them up...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:07 am

I have decided to have one last attempt at working a hinge out from what I know by looking at others for sale.

What I did is take a copy of what I found on the internet and added it to my pic's folder, then resized it to about 1.2 times so the arm lengths are about what will work for my space.

I then printed at the larger size, cut out all the moving components and glued them to some old cardboard.
I needed two copies as cutting out destroyed over lap joints.

Once dry, I cut them out and took a 2nd copy of my pic and laid the cut pieces over the pic and pinned the centers using staples and thumb tacks.

I then took it out to my shop and held it in the rough location and took it thru its movement range and it seems to work pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:18 am

I've started roughing out my stainless steel metal components.
Things may slow down a bit now as I am trying to work out what method I will use for the pivot points, rivets or bolts.
I have ordered some sample Chicago nut/bolt combinations to see how they may work.
Part of the problem is the Chicago items require an 8mm diameter hole and since I've scaled the original hinges down in size 8mm is starting to not leave me much metal around the holes.
So that is why I say I have roughed out my metal with an extra width of material to see how things will fit and work.
It is early days so I am not locked in to any one solution just yet.
Fun all the same...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:54 am

Very clever solution for the hinges. Congratulations on your creativity.

I have one concern. When the hinge operates, it starts displacing a little bit away from the plane where the fixed bracket is at the body. Will the hood be able to clear everything while it opens?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 am

Good question Esteban, truth is I expect it will clear, going from the amount of times I have observed my model, but in reality I am not 100% convinced yet.
Good old Murphy's Law may come into play and haunt me. :o

Being that I have fabricated all the components and to some extent have become the master of my own destiny, I expect that any tweaking required can be dealt with, although I don't want it to be any more difficult than it already is...

Time will tell. :?:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:19 am

Besides life getting in the way of my project progress for now, I expect to be without internet access for a while so there could some delays in posting progress.

I'll be back soon.

Russ.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:41 am

Well folks, I am back I think.
As long as the internet issues of the recent past are behind me I shall start making further progress.

Not a lot to offer up right now, however I had determined since receiving mu Chicago bolt/nuts in the mail that head size was going to be a slight problem with one pivot point.
That is the bracket to lower arm pivot point.
I made an executive decision to relocate that hole position by a small amount as you will see in my attached pic, which seems to have solved the head clearance without affecting the movement wrong way that I can tell. :think:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:54 pm

For the folks unfamiliar with a Chicago bolt here is a pic.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 am

I should have the metal work piece cut out by the weekend and ready for shaping...
Sadly, I don't have access to rolls and if I did they would not be at my shop where my project is.
Nevertheless, I have my cardboard template cut out and ready to be used to make my flat sheet metal work piece.
I cut my cardboard material a little short and then used an extra strip to staple on and get the front and rear gaps just right.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:10 pm

I got my sheet metal cut generally to shape and now realise that I will need to het a couple of round objects mounted somehow so as to be able to roll the curves that I require.
I have a gas bottle which is about 9 inches in diameter and have recently acquired a piece of large diameter (16") thick wall (1") plastic pipe plus two drive shafts (3 1/2" & 4" diameter).
I am hoping with these choices I will be able to obtain the shapes that I require.
I still have my eye on the power pole across the road from my house :idea:
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior