1969 Patrol, Take 2: Action!

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby yitzac1990 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 pm

well I have been waiting on the transmission rebuild to continue with progress on the patrol build. I got the new main shaft built last night with the help of a friend:

But when I went to reassemble the transmission, something seems not right. Is there anyone on here that happens to know a lot about SM465 transmissions and/or how to rebuild them??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8r_teugvjU
World's only Chevy LS powered G60 Patrol

...at least that I know of :D
yitzac1990 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby seth1001 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 pm

While we're on the subject of the transmission and transfer case, I have a question for you. According to a recent conversation I had with a dude at Novak and Advance Adapters, the Dana 18 is really only good for transmission RPM's equating to around 55-60 mph before it vibrates bad and runs the risk of falling apart. Have you read anything about this or planned any changes to your T/C to mitigate this risk? Or with that 4-speed tranny are you just not planning to go any faster anyway?
seth1001 Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby yitzac1990 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I had not read anything like that, i appreciate you bringing that to my attention. with that said, I dont plan on over revving this thing just so I can do 70 on the highway. However, i do plan on eventually getting an overdrive unit for the TC which will give me a "5th" gear, at 0.75 ratio. this coupled with some big tires will allow me to keep the RPMs relatively low and still keep up on the highway. Im not sure if I want to splurge on the overdrive before I install everything, or later down the line. I am kind of thinking later on down the line after the patrol is up and running.

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:49 pm

another update: I got the transmission figured out! I took it all apart again to make sure everything was installed correctly, and this time when putting it back I was able to seat the rear main bearing all the way in, which pulled everything together nicely.

Here it is all buttoned up with new seals/gaskets and the Novak TC adapter on it:

I was also about to get my clutch and flywheel mated to the engine, when I realized the flywheel I had was a completely different bolt pattern and crank center bore than what I needed. so i wasnt able to get to that, but I have already ordered the correct flywheel for the job.

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby Esteban » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 am

Excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad you figured out. We can even sense your satisfaction.

Very interesting to follow your thread.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby seth1001 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:34 am

yitzac1990 wrote:I had not read anything like that, i appreciate you bringing that to my attention. with that said, I dont plan on over revving this thing just so I can do 70 on the highway. However, i do plan on eventually getting an overdrive unit for the TC which will give me a "5th" gear, at 0.75 ratio. this coupled with some big tires will allow me to keep the RPMs relatively low and still keep up on the highway. Im not sure if I want to splurge on the overdrive before I install everything, or later down the line. I am kind of thinking later on down the line after the patrol is up and running.

They say that engine rpm doesn't matter. It's all about how fast that output shaft is making the gears in the Spicer 18 turn. This is all independent of what your engine is doing and is solely based on how fast the vehicle is moving. Well...not solely...as bigger tires and alternate differential gearing could raise your top speed without effecting the transfer case. But anyway, I hope they're just being overly cautious. My feeling is...if you're on a smooth freeway, is the higher gear speed really going to be that damaging? I wager not. But anyway, I hope it goes well for you and I look forward to seeing your results when it's all said and done.
seth1001 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:46 am

Oh okay I see what you're saying. Well yeah I'll just have to see what happens. It wont be driven on the highway all the time, and the Dana 18 is supposedly the best/strongest transfer case ever made! Haha

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:36 am

the transfer case has been rebuilt and is ready to go. this was MUCH easier than the transmission!

I should be receiving my flywheel today. Once I have that, I can install it and the clutch, then the transmission, then the TC. Next step would be dropping into the patrol for test fitting!!

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 am

I got the flywheel in yesterday, which means I was able to get everything bolted together! I had to finesse the trans and TC a little bit with an angle grinder to get it to fit, very close together!

I also had to relocate the shift stick pin screw. You can see the original spot for the screw right behind one of the gussets in the transmission. so I stuck an old screw in there with some loc-tite, and drilled and tapped a new hole on the right side of the shift tower. this will make it much easier to access the screw to install and remove the shift stick pin.

yitzac1990 Offline

Postby yitzac1990 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 am

I just ordered all my new brake parts for the patrol for my disc brake conversion. I will be using the following:

Front brakes:
1993 Toyota 4runner 3.0L calipers and pads
1993 Toyota 4runner 3.0L rotors

Rear brakes:
1993 Nissan 240sx calipers and pads
1995 Isuzu pickup rotors

I wanted to go with 240sx rear calipers because they are pretty cheap, easily found (at least when you are in the drifting community :) ), and have built in e-brake cable attachments. The Isuzu truck rotor is 0.1" thicker than the rotor on a 240sx, so hopefully the 240sx caliper/pad combo will still drop onto the rotor nicely. If not, I may have to turn down the rotors a bit.

The brake conversion will start once the drivetrain is complete and installed in the patrol. I want to get it running first, then I will do all the axle work (SPOA swap, disc brake conversion)

yitzac1990 Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects