PTO Winch

Original and compatible parts

Postby curlrider11 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:27 pm

rdarnell wrote:did some searching last year on the PTO here is what I found.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4957&p=39107&hilit=winch#p39107

I read that forum too. My patrol definitely does NOT have a hole in the frame for a winch driveline like the one in the other forum post... wonder what my winch driveline will look like when i get it all mocked up... hm.... and wonder what i'll have to mod to get it lined up right.

after driving a week or so with the 1/8 spacer looks like everything's shifting smoothly. and no leaks!
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:08 pm

curlrider11 wrote:I read that forum too. My patrol definitely does NOT have a hole in the frame for a winch driveline like the one in the other forum post... wonder what my winch driveline will look like when i get it all mocked up... hm.... and wonder what i'll have to mod to get it lined up right.

The 68/69 I had with the PTO a hole had been cut in the frame for the driveshaft. The hole was in the same place as the factory cut hole. I really don't see how else the drive line could be accomplished otherwise.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby curlrider11 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks Leslie good to know, I guess when I get to that step that's where I'll be headed. I couldn't figure a different way to do it either just from looking at it. Thx for the info.
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice. " Pr. 12:15
curlrider11 Offline

Postby curlrider11 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:21 am

I've been looking and looking for any information on the PTO for the patrol, trying to figure out what kind of oil seal is used at the output for the lever control. I've got a small leak there ... It seems like everyone's come up empty on information about the actual PTO specs from all the forms lve read or followed... I did find one piece of literature slightly encouraging and oddly comforting when I read it and it seems like it was written by an old-timer that's worked on hundreds of these and forever :-)

From hermtheoverdriveguy.com "when ordering or rebuilding gearboxes we cannot guarantee no oil leaks as many of the early gearboxes have always leaked".

As many PTO gearbox specs he had on his website there was nothing for the patrol gearbox...

Guess I'll let sleeping dogs lay, and keep gearbox oil in the glove box next to the dot3. whistle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
curlrider11 Offline

Postby jwgreen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:58 pm

curlrider11 wrote:I've been looking and looking for any information on the PTO for the patrol, trying to figure out what kind of oil seal is used at the output for the lever control. I've got a small leak there ... It seems like everyone's come up empty on information about the actual PTO specs from all the forms lve read or followed... I did find one piece of literature slightly encouraging and oddly comforting when I read it and it seems like it was written by an old-timer that's worked on hundreds of these and forever :-)

From hermtheoverdriveguy.com "when ordering or rebuilding gearboxes we cannot guarantee no oil leaks as many of the early gearboxes have always leaked".

As many PTO gearbox specs he had on his website there was nothing for the patrol gearbox...

Guess I'll let sleeping dogs lay, and keep gearbox oil in the glove box next to the dot3. whistle:

I rebuilt my PTO a few years ago, here are the part numbers to the seals I used. My seals are not leaking at this time but I haven't driven it any since the rebuild. It is leaking a little from the plugs which I will have to pull out and put some RTV on and reinstall. Hope this helps.

http://60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3312&p=24796&hilit=pto#p24796
Justin
jwgreen Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby curlrider11 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:12 pm

WOAH AMAZING! Thanks for posting that.... it may have been awhile, but any idea if that outer seal for the control shaft installs from the outside of the pto box or the inside of the pto? do i have to take the whole thing apart? or simply drain and use a seal puller from the outside?
curlrider11 Offline

Postby jwgreen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm

curlrider11 wrote:WOAH AMAZING! Thanks for posting that.... it may have been awhile, but any idea if that outer seal for the control shaft installs from the outside of the pto box or the inside of the pto? do i have to take the whole thing apart? or simply drain and use a seal puller from the outside?

If I recall correctly, which it has been a few years, I believe you would have to remove it and totally disassemble it. Not sure how you would replace the seal without removing the shaft.
Justin
jwgreen Offline

Postby curlrider11 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:11 pm

Ah that's very helpful! Thanks a lot for the info.... I think some of the old timers have ways of removing seals with the shaft still in. I may investigate and parouse YOutube before tearing the whole thing apart.

Thanks!
curlrider11 Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:42 am

Justin & Rob,
I sent your four (4) seal PTO list, as shown on the thread on page 1 of this thread, to NAPA. They do not supply those manufacturers but "crossed" them over to others.

Here are my questions.

a). In the past for the Patrol transmission shaft seals I have purchased double lip seals. Should each be a double lip? NAPA says some are not?
b). NAPA says the 304S seal "is not closed"..I don't know what that means. Do you?
c). They was $110.00 for one set, I try to never buy one of anything so I will get two sets....does that price makes sense? It seems the last seals I bought off ebay were for the other transmission seals were around $6 ea in my experience. Your thoughts?

I sent this to Justin & Rob as it was their communication but naturally I'd appreciate comments from field if anyone has the time.

Patrolling for parts,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby curlrider11 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Hey I was looking up prices yesterday for the PTO seals. looks like of the list and photo of those 4 seals the top two are seals and the bottom two bearings. I looked up parts, and the MRC's could be had for between $25-30 each and the oil seals 6-8. I bought a seal for the lever output shaft and am investigating if i can replace that oil seal without taking everything apart. That price seems a little high, but from one store maybe not too terrible rather than finding parts everywhere and piecing them together. (if we're talking about the same seals, which i think we are :))

Cheers
curlrider11 Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Parts and Compatible Parts