Post Hurricane IRMA brake and body work!

If it doesn't fit in the others but is 60 series related, post it up.

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:11 am

A vehicle previously owned by an engineer is a special find. It's nice to see your Patrol getting the preventative attention.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby richw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:08 pm

IMG_4493.jpg
IMG_4485.jpg
IMG_4477.jpg
IMG_4475.jpg
Another good day moving forwards, AND 'invest 96' mid Atlantic has fizzled out, happy days.

Here's some more pictures.

I really did not want to remove all the original paint but I guess nothing lasts forever.
It's a 43 year old coating. Sanding it back every blemish turns into a 'worm cast' of corrosion/failed coating.
I can't blame hurricane Irma for all the problems, I had already noticed rust pinnacles from the moment it arrived from japan.

I had presumed it had been sprayed over before being listed on the auction site, I still think that was the case but they single coated, no primer.

Whatever, it all has to be sanded back, inside and out, a lot of work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richw Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby richw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:08 pm

IMG_4510.jpg
IMG_4504.jpg
IMG_4502.jpg
IMG_4501.jpg
Onwards we go.
I've used ospho in the marine trade for years but I have never used it on bare panels once they have been stripped or sanded back.
I left the sprayed coat of ospho on the bonnet overnight and was impressed to see every rust blemish neutralized into a raised hump of iron phosphate.
Wow, just a light sanding and ready for primer before the tin worm leaps for joy with all that metal laid bare!
I am now convinced that 'old blue' had been 'tarted up' for sale.
Spot repairs along the windscreen and front wings then a deftly applied clear coat.
The underside was just plasted with thick rubbery underseal, the upper floorpan the same but a green zinc phosphate primer went on first.
That stuff sticks like shit to a blanket!
Anyhow, it's all gone.
Of course I would love to be unemployed and wealthy enough to remove the body at this point and deal with the shitty rubbery/crazed underseal as well as having the whole lot shot blasted.
instead I'm simply taking what I can back to bare metal where it's needed and putting honest coats of quality paint on.
Can't do better than that.
The tart up job left rust trails and burst outs everywhere.
Hurricane Irma was probably a blessing in disguise revealing the worst of it.
It's not like we have a zero humidity climate here, but at least we don't need salt on the roads!
Frosts are very rare.

Now on to the exhaust system, I'm looking at importing 2" tainless components and then making it up as I go along.

A brake master cylinder is on it's way from Australia.
New clutch slave and master are in hand.
What could possibly go wrong?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richw Offline

Postby Esteban » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Incredible amount of work you're doing. Great progress and tips. Definitely a thread to follow! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe you should change the tittle... Some people might get scared of tackling their brakes after reading this!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby richw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm

IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4529.jpg
IMG_4516.jpg
IMG_4514.jpg
OK, primer got sprayed today.
I'm still waiting for the doors and front wings to come back from being sand blasted.
They did wonders with the front grille, it looks like it has been primed but that's just the sand blasted finish.

I have ordered a 2.25" SS muffler from Amazon and two 2" SS pipe kits to make up a new exhaust system, it looks pretty straightforward.
I'm looking at a Motorcraft 2100/2150 carb with manual choke to replace the original. The engine will lose the original look and the big air cleaner but I'm hoping for better low range performance. The original carb is tired.
richw Offline

Postby richw » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm

IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4554.jpg
IMG_4529.jpg
IMG_4391.jpg
They say any good paint job is all about the preparation!
I spent $800 on sand blasting but it was money well spent.
Paint stripper works well but it is really time consuming and very messy.
The wings, inner wings, wheel carrier, doors, air cleaner...all came back naked and perfect.

Overall the job is going well but the devil is in the detail.
For example the front wings are amazingly rust free but there are two areas of concern.
One is easy to fix, that's the doubled up reinforcing plates that live under the wing mirror attachment points.
There is some rust bubbling up there, the correct fix would be to cut out that zone and weld in fresh material.
Back in the UK with my industrial mig welder this would have been a doddle.
Here in the BVI it's not so easy. The rust was really minor so that will wait for another day.
Just ospho and sealant to stop it in its tracks for now.

The other 'problem' are the seams between the panels that make up the front wings.
The 43 year old caulking is done, it shrinks, water gets in there and you have a rust sandwich!
Again, it's really minor rust that I'm looking at.
I have raked out the old caulking and have ospho'ed the seams.
Question is what product is best to use to replace the original caulking?

OK, here's an odd one.
Why on earth is there a castellated pinned nut and bolt both sides on the inner wings that attaches to the frame with a small bracket?
Seems strange to go to those lengths for a bit of bodywork that is well attached anyhow!?

Last coats of primer on tomorrow and then it's a day of sanding.
Then a day of painting.
No nasty surprises yet, I continue to be amazed how well preserved 'old blue' is.
Nothing sheared during the disassembly, nothing.
richw Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am

You're going to amazing detail, the result will be well worth it. This Patrol will last forever!

I know the little brackets to the frame you're talking about. It always was a head scratcher. Apparently the fender needs some extra support right there. :think:

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby richw » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 pm

IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4611.jpg
IMG_4614.jpg
IMG_4597.jpg
IMG_4595.jpg
IMG_4575.jpg
IMG_4590.jpg
IMG_4589.jpg
IMG_4583.jpg
IMG_4577.jpg
So, I only have 5 days left before heading off to Blighty for a 2 week holiday with the family to see the fossils.
All the bare metal got 3 full coats of 2 pack primer followed by 2/3 coats of 'tops' and a clear coat.
The POR 15 seam sealer pictured here worked well in the end.
It bubbled up a bit whilst curing but that may be due to our tropical conditions.
Normally I would have used a west system marine epoxy with low density filler for this job, a whole lot cheaper than POR.
Once cured the product was easy to sand, hopefully, along with the Ospho these seams will be inert for many years to come!
I do like the POR 15 products but their applications have to be understood.
The paint works great on treated rusted surfaces BUT it's crap once it hits sound coatings.
It's also crap on bare non-rusted steel, a guy on u tube showed this and I concur.
If you have gone to all the trouble of getting back to bare metal and have oshpo'ed the surface a 2 pack primer is the way to go, keep the PUR for heavily rusted bits that need saving. It works great for that.

I have some very necessary parts headed my way.
The Datsun 120 dual circuit master cylinder just got to Miami via Aussie post, the exhaust system has been shipped in bits for home assembly, new rubber boots, lights, bonnet rubbers in hand from Colombia, a 5 pack of oil filters from e bay US, if anyone needs details just ask.

Tomorrow I'll be re-assembling the soft top frame which has been sprayed in original drab green.
Anand, my Guyanese paint expert maintains it is the exact colour of all military vehicles back in Guyana!
By the way, he and a couple of his mates have been instrumental in the paint job, they love their classic vehicles!
(and they all seem to have ridiculously good skills)

I'll do my best to post the finishing strokes.
richw Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:03 am

Amazing work.

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby richw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:52 am

IMG_4624.jpg
IMG_4621.jpg
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4599.jpg
4 days left.
I'm glad I labelled every nut washer and grommet!
There is enough of the original soft top left to use as a pattern, I also have the heavy military canvas in hand.
Checking the valve clearances was never going to be easier, it's hard to believe but they were perfect, I checked twice before I believed it.
Just a new rocker gasket required.
richw Offline

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics