Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 am

While waiting for the laser cutting and the mail man, I decided to make the pair of flanges required to attach my hinge mechanism to the firewall.
Not pretty right now but I am expecting it to improve once cleaned up.
I plan to use insert nuts into my firewall to attach these brackets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm still waiting for my laser cut hinges, but in the meantime the mail man turned up with my radiator shell lacing kit.
I have also managed to work out my card board templates for the remainder of my inner sheet metal which I intend to cut out soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:16 am

I can't believe that I am still waiting for the laser cutter.
He was asked to see if while imputing my drawing into his CAD system that he could try and improve the rear lift on the hinge and he did talk to me saying a simple improvement was not working as there was a degree of bind, so he wanted more time to figure out a smooth movement.
On my prototype it worked, however my pivot points where not rigid enough to show bind...

In the meantime I have taken to my VW Beetle latch and started minimising the junk on it.
I have removed a small lever (for a cable pull) which by doing so, destabilised the locking device, so added a small spring for stability and the darn thing works better than the OEM design.

I also shaved metal off and reduced bracket size and overhang as I want to reduce the foot print especially in the height department.
I have a stainless steel cradle in which I will install the latch mechanism.
So this is what I have so far.

Sorry my pic's are in the reverse sequence...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 am

Progress remains slow, but any progress is good in my view.
So what I have right now is still no laser cut hinges ready.
It seems the laser guy is doing the CAD drawings for me free of charge and hence is only getting them done when he has free time.
Obviously I will still be paying for the materials and cutting, but it seems like a reasonable deal, if all it is costing me is a little time.
I do have other things to work on and so have posted that progress, which is more work on my inner panel.

Remember I am a total novice at this and hence no plans to work from, it is all just being put together straight out of my head in the hope that it will work out.
So far so good...
My method and approach to each step is probably a little unorthodox and there maybe easier ways, but for now I just keep chiselling away at it.

Boy, my bead roller has become a very handy piece of equipment in my shop right now.
Also, I can now appreciate the need for a variable speed controller, albeit in any form, as long as you have something to mange speed according to the task at hand and its complexity.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:08 am

OK, I am back again with a little more progress to show off.
However, I still do not have my laser cut hinges, but I am told they will be ready late next week for sure.

In the meantime I now have the 3 pieces that will make up my hood inner all bead rolled, but will still require some hammer work.
I am keen to weld the 3 pieces together but, I know that I will be better off waiting until I can see how my hinges will attach to the hood inner and that will be more easily worked out with the pieces loose I am guessing...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:11 am

Well folks, I got my laser cut hinge components back today.
I have started assembling them, but first had to drill pivot holes out to size and tap a couple of threads to attach the coupling plates that coordinate the front and rear arms as they lift together.

I've spent many a hour on my sheet metal but a pic will not show where all my time has gone.
In saying that I have been bending and shaping these panels to tweak them in to a nicer fit and alignment.
Time, that I could never afford to pay somebody else to spend for me...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 am

The hinge parts look great. Congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's also great to have actually seen the development from concept to final product. And regarding time spent, I'm sure all of us here have spent countless hours when doing some body work, that once it's done, looks like minutes of work for others.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:03 am

Both hinges assembled and all is good.
Just getting ready to progress to attaching them to the firewall and work out how the hood underside will attach to my hinges.

Would have been a much easier job if there was no engine in place.
Something I will need to remember for any future projects.

I have also finalised the install and mounting of the body side hood latching...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Hinges mounted and seem to have worked out OK for now.
I used insert nuts.
A added a small arm to my latch for easy operation.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:34 pm

It is always good for the ego to share progress and success during a build as I have been doing during this hood project.
However, just when all the components are about to come together for the first time, I have just discovered that even with all my good intentions, that the hinges are letting me down.
In other words I have hit a speed bump in my progress.

I guess this has come about by trying to use a hinge design that was not actually made specifically for my project.
The issue which has come to light, but has been in the back of our minds is the need to achieve enough lift at the tail end or firewall end of the hood as it rises, so it does not bind or drag on the body during its movement. :o

Today, I did a mock up fit to track the movement of the hood as if it was being opened.
Unfortunately, the tail is binding as it rises out of the closed position and it will not work as planned.
It seems at first look, that I need to speed up the rear lift as well and gain a little more height.
I have trialled several improvements and arm positions and lengths to see if I can improve this situation. :think:

During the initial CAD design work, we did improve the lift from 9mm to almost 15mm which obviously helped.
Tomorrow, I will visit the laser guy and see if we can impose some of my solution ideas into his CAD system and keep moving forward.
I am hoping to beat this issue, but do expect to have to lose something in the process, most likely it will be front lift height from what I can tell...
It is not only a question of lift, but a related rate of forward movement during the lift. :?:

I am still trying to avoid tossing it all into the trash can, fingers crossed... :pray:
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior