Cadflat Hot Rod G60 wiper motor to switch wiring PLUS

Flames? Lights wiring, alternator/generator, etc.

Postby yitzac1990 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 pm

thanks a lot! How would one wire up the switch and motor when starting from scratch? I got rid of ALL the chassis wiring on my 69 patrol so I could put all fresh, clean, good wiring in.

And after looking through my switches, I think I do have a good wiper switch. It seems a previous owner cut off the original connector (6 slots with 5 pins) and sloppily soldered on a different connector (6 slot with 6 pins). I fixed the bad solder job and got it nice and neat. stupid question: the wiper switch has a "rotate" function on the knob for the washer nozzle function, correct?

I think the busted switch that I have is actually the headlight switch...i found the knob and push rod and ill try to attempt to repair it, or find something else to replace it.
World's only Chevy LS powered G60 Patrol

...at least that I know of :D
yitzac1990 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm

It sure sounds like you are on to it yitzac.
Slow and easy I always say will get you thru...

Maybe somebody else more familiar with early Nissan cars and Patrols would know if all switches came with the washer function in the switch.
I have a suspicion that they did not, but I am no expert...

I have seen a headlight switch used as a wiper switch years ago in another vehicle, I guess you got to run with what you some times.
Not pretty but it did give the guy wipers.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Only if anybody is interested, I am getting my carpets made up now and hope to have my seats etc installed once the carpet is installed.
I'll post pic's later.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 am

Carpet pretty much done now, seat install to follow soon.
This new computer with Widows 10 software is not helping my posting progress.
Change for change sake is one thing that just gets right up my nose...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 am

New Windows doesn't like the forum period. I have people contacting me frequently because they can't even complete the registration page. I have to tell them to use a different browser or device. :roll:

Carpet looks fabulous!
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:17 am

Thanks RP for the tip with Windows, it sure would not be my first choice if I had any others.
Yes, carpets really do give it that finished look.
I have just about got the seats in place.
I had a hold up as I wanted to install a fire extinguisher on the rear trim panel behind the passengers seat.
There are few location choices and it seems reachable for the driver who generally would be the first to respond if required and not that difficult for the passenger as well.
I wanted it raised above floor level for ease of access and also so if any items were to be stored behind the seats they would not get in each others way.
I had to remove the trim and fabricate a small frame and install it securely with metal for the extinguisher bolts to mount onto.
That now is done and I am trying to install my steering wheel and have discovered several splines on the shaft head had been bruised and needed touching up with a small hand file.
My steering wheel is not seating all that well even after the touch up and I will need to see what is the issue.
In the meantime, I have found that my horn button that sits in the center of the steering wheel is too fiddly to install and remove should the center nut to the steering wheel need to be accessed, so I plan to machine up a aluminium plug that will fit the center of the steering wheel and also accept the horn button being pressed into hence removing the need to undo 6 small bolts to reach the center nut.

All fun and games, just the kind of stuff that fights you right up to the finish line...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:50 am

I've had a battery hooked up to this vehicle for about the past 2+ years now with a trickle charger maintaining it all this time.
I have regularly started the engine and have never had a low or flat battery issue to date.
Flat batteries can be and have been an issue for me in the past what with not using and driving my vehicles as regularly as I would have liked.

To this end I have been thinking about a standard setup for my vehicles whereby I can quickly plug in a trickle charger.
Currently I am leaning towards installing an after market cigarette lighter socket under my vehicle and attaching the plug in (male) end of the to my trickle charger.
None of my vehicles have dash mounted cigarette lighter sockets and I don't smoke anyways so it has never been something that I required.

With my current project in mind I plan to install the receiver socket on the inside of my chassis rail, so I can just bend down and plug in my charger and easily remove.
They come with a weather proof cap which should work OK for my needs since I am not going off road or 4WD-ing.

I know there are many trickle chargers out there and they range hugely in price and I feel one is left scratching ones head when trying to make a choice when ready to purchase.
Personally, I have used a brand called "Powertech" and I am very happy with it and have since purchased another identical for my other hot rod that requires battery maintenance.

I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this stuff really, but feel I may have been lucky to score a good make and model first up.
The model or cat number as it says on the unit is MB-3526 but may not be available in everybody's neck of their woods.
After making further inquiries at my local electronics store the guys there tell me it is a pretty darn good and reliable brand so I figure I'll stick with them now.

I just checked on eBay as I thought I might post a link, but do not see any listed either in the USA or my home here in Australia.
A new item from memory cost me locally approx. $50, but only 2 weeks ago I found a new/used item identical for $25 incl postage.
So there are deals to be had from time to time.

I hope this maybe helpful to anybody contemplating such a setup.

Like I said, I intend to cut off the -ve & +ve tongs and install the cigarette male fitting.
I'll be using these items;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-Car-Ci ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-12V-Wat ... 4335006729
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:48 am

I bought 10 years ago a DieHard Battery Charger & Maintainer that does the same as you described. It was aimed initially for a car that's notorious for the electrical gremlins that are generated with a low battery during startup. It did help, but all the issues were gone when I switched to an AGM type battery for that car.

One of the best features of this little battery charger is that it supplies only 2A, so it provides a slow charge for a battery that has gone dead or is low on charge.

There's another make, Battery Tender, that has because sort of a brand name to describe all these gadgets. The DieHard was on sale so I chose that one.

The battery on my Patrol has now over 15 years! Every year I run the maintainer for about 2 days straight, and the battery is good to go.

Your idea of permanently installing the socket at an accessible place is great. With the Patrols, sometimes just due to laziness when don't open the battery compartment and the seat on top.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Esteban, nice choice of charger/maintainer and it already comes with the cigarette attachment.
Sadly, these items are not sold in Australia from what I can tell.
I did an ebay search and found them to be available at Aussie $58 plus $30 postage from the USA.
Not good value as most of that money is lost on conversion and postage.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:33 pm

Well, it has been a while and so far I have survived lock down and the Covid and here is hoping the rest of you guys on the Forum have done the same.
Nothing new to report just now.
Enjoy the sun in the northern hemisphere. :)
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical