Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Esteban » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 pm

Sorry to hear the problem with the hinges after all the hard work.

We don’t realize how complex the rotation/displacement of the components can be. I’m sure you’ll figure out this one and will be looking forward for the solution.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 am

These hinges are a tricky concepts to get your head around, especially if they are something that you don't play with often.
I have come up with a couple of refinements that should inch me closer to a solution.
First has been to shorten my base bracket towards the firewall by 6mm, which still gives me some small clearance.
The second thought is to increase the length of the fish plate that can be seen in my last post of pic's.
The fish plate is the small horizontal plate about half way up the hinge with a small machine screw at each end.
We will try that with the laser guy on his CAD and see if the movement is improved.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:18 am

Well it sure looks impressive. :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:48 pm

I've visited the laser guy today and we had a play with the hinge and a sit down chat about how to improve my current situation.
He seems to think that my 2 ideas are workable and that the 6mm shortening will definitely help.
We have settled on looking at doubling the length of the fish plate, which seems at first look to satisfy the rear/tail end lift/clearance issues.
I left him looking for a solution to clawing back a lot of my front hood tilt which appears to have been lost with the other 2 improvements.
The hood tilt was at about 43 degrees and we are now down to about 20 degrees which is pretty bad.
I am hoping for 30 degrees or better, so fingers crossed again...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Sorry folks, I've been off the air here as I am still waiting for my laser guy and I have also updated to a newer computer.
Both results of actions are out of my control and I have spend a good number of hours trying to get my files etc into some sort of order.
I expect to get my laser cut parts by weeks end if the Gods are with me...
Boy that would be a first. hahhaha!!! :violin:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:05 am

Finally got my hinges back and need to drill and assemble them.
It is looking to be not that simple as now as I refine them I am discovering other small adjustments that I feel would be advisable to deal with at this point.

The refinements basically will consist of grinding and filing on the bench to ensure full movement and clearance is achieved.

Part of my current problem is that I have lost nearly 50% of my hood lift angle and I need to claw some of that back by doing these refinements.

More soon.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:20 am

Well, I am back on track again now, my latest hinge appears to be about right and seems to capable of working as required now.
It sure has been a long time coming but worth the wait.
Next step now that I have both hinges temporarily attached to the firewall and level etc, I now need to work out how I will attach them to the inner skin of my hood.
Tomorrow I plan to start cutting out some small pieces of metal to create the attaching faces and see where it leads me.

All that tinkering and filing etc has paid off and the hinges have a nice firm but smooth movement to them which is a great outcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am

I have made some reportable progress although the time was greater than it may look, to have worked out and produced what I have in pic's.

I have a plate that attaches to the hinge arm and a sheet metal boxing that will form the contact point to the hinge once welded to the inner hood sheet metal.

Good, bad or indifferent this is now the direction I am heading in and I hope it will be the correct choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:42 pm

I envy your fabrication talent! Looking great!

Is the idea of have outside of the boxes exposed or will you cover them with a patch?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Esteban, no the boxes will be hidden.
The sheet metal that you are looking at in my pic's is actually, the inner sheet and it will be covered by an outer sheet later.
I am hoping the use of 2 thin sheet metal panels will avoid me needing to use any other additional bracing.
I am limited from using much cross bracing as between the twin carbs and high mounted radiator hoses and thermostat housing they seem to block much crossing over braces.

Really just winging it right now...
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior