Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Still battling away with other hinge pocket cut in and getting ready to tack weld the 3 sections into position which make up the hood inner.
Once that is done, I will have my first opportunity to attach the hinges and see how the lift motion works.
Fingers crossed...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Oddbod » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 am

Well, what an adventure, it has been a slow struggle.
No pic's to post this time, but I can tell you I am now in 2 minds whether to keep at it or walk away.
I attached the inner panel the hinge pockets and then to the hinges and tried lifting it.
Well, it just touches my firewall lip at the rear and wants to take paint off.

Disappointing to say the least.
I know I am real close, so I added a washer spacer between the hinge and the pocket and it kinder clears but not what I was hoping for.

I have now removed the hood from the hinges and cut the pockets out in the hope that I can do some tweaking and get the clearance I need.
Boy, it is close but no cigar just yet...

I am going to persist for now and give it my best shot since it seems so near, but otherwise I am at somewhat of a loss to know what else to do.
Obviously my rejig of the hinges was a get success and I almost hit the target with the mods.

More to follow when I cool down...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 am

We can feel your pain! Hope you can resolve this last glitch.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:48 pm

I have been drawn to a conclusion with intent of lifting the hinge arms out of the rest position slightly, so the forward movement commences immediately.
Right now, there is a kind of dead spot it seems just for a couple of millimetres of initial movement where the hinge seems to be in limbo so to speak as it commences its path of movement and rides too low to clear the firewall lip edge.

I had to walk away and I am a pretty patient individual, but I needed to avoid being drawn in by the problem and grasping at straws which could have lead me to do some dumb stuff.
So I am now in a cooling off period just mulling over my next steps and listening to others view points.
I am just so close, but finding the tweak that will get me over the line is killing me right now...

Thanks for your continued interest.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Hinges can really do your head in once you really get into them.
I will persist for now, but do have a plan B, which is to use another hinge design (drawings) which I purchased from a guy in Canada for little money.
Only problem IMHO is that it does not look pretty as it has super lift and sticks up oddly when open.
Looks kinder fragile, like a scissor lift effect or could from the look of it end up with the problem at the front rather than the rear......
Plan C is to scrap the hinge and just tie down the hood and make it hand removeable which really goes against the grain in my book...
I am not all that competitive, but I hate being beaten when I am so close to the finish line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Well men, I think I am all tweaked out.
My latest hinge pocket tweaking has gone some way to improving the lift motion.
It is more obvious now that the peak of the hood arc at the cowl end is the issue.
As the hood rotates up the arc is moving from the horizonal more into the vertical plane and hence needs space towards the windshield end.

It is so damn close now that if I put a nylon washer in its travel path is rides on the washer and then clears.
The washer is protecting paint scratching for now.
A guy from another Forum had earlier suggested a small nylon wheel or skid wedge for that edge of the hood.
It did not make much sense to me then, but now it does.

I need more thinking time as this is turning into brain surgery...
I really don't have anything in the actual hinge or hood left to tweak now.
I think if the straight seal lip in the cowl/firewall sheet metal had a curve or bow in it at about the center line of the hood instead of being straight, it probably would saved my bacon and cleared.

Pre-load is definitely a part solution that I at this late stage will not be able to take advantage of.
It sure is something to consider for others following in my foot steps.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:56 pm

I note that many vehicles of the 1940's and 50's with high arched hoods had a kind of V shape or taper to the center along the back edge of their hoods, probably as a means of avoiding exactly what I am experiencing now.

I've have decided to take a day or two off and do some gardening instead and mix with non car friends as a means of clearing my head for now...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:42 am

Well folks, its been a while.
Between life, a spell of hot weather and a lack of motivation, I have now got a new idea and have started implementing it.

Well, 2 ideas actually;

1st is a slightly modified hinge design, nothing drastic, but it appears that it may offer some extra lift at the rear.

2nd I have decided to do a mock up on my old wooden engine bay buck and use it to make any hinge position tweaks.

Attached are a couple of pic's of the hinges in place as per the real engine bay, with the exception, I have moved the hinges in from the outer edge by 1" and raised them 3/8".

I can not give a detail explanation for this move, other than to say I am going with my gut right now.

Fingers crossed again...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:37 pm

Sorry for no updates, but I've been off the radar with a really bad bout of Bronchitis.
It has taken some time to get over, although I am still not fully recovered yet, hence nothing much has happened other than my new Tesla electric home storage battery was delivered yesterday and installed into position.
It is still to be wired in and commissioned which is still about 10 days away.

I've been waiting for this delivery for about 8 weeks or more and I live in the hope that once operational, it will come close to eliminating my power needs from the grid.
Once it is up and running I will post my thoughts about how it is performing...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:13 am

To all the Forum members who care to take an interest in my project work, may I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I've remained off the radar as I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which has been quite debilitating to say the least.
It came on after my bout of Bronchitis.
I am determined to beat it and get back to my old self asap...
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior