L60Boerne's Santa's Sleigh

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Greetings,

Santa's Sleigh has a new NAPA carb. It works great when it works. Since it is likely made in China the bowl needle sticks.

I hate to trash it but I'd consider a really good cast off if anyone has a working OEM carb.
Patrolling when possible,
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol (CCV4 -sold)
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Soft Top - Phoenix Patrol (CCV6) For Sale
66 No Top - Pinto Patrol (CCV7)
L60Boerne Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby plateaucal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Regarding the starter, what exactly did you pay for? I think I mentioned this before, but as the starter bushings wear the rotor will ground on the stator causing a significant volatage drop and slow turn over. Old starters are simple. They usually just need new bushings and brushes now and then. Is this the same problem I had at the Lair?
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby plateaucal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Now if the battery is dying while sitting, then you need an ammeter. You need to check the amp flow at the battery terminal. Then you work it back, circuit by circuit, at the fuse box until you find the culprit. Now that being said, some batteries develop internal shorts and can die that way.
plateaucal Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:38 am

I think what he is describing is that when he fist goes to start it, it will crank slow at first like a low battery than suddenly start cranking normally and finally start. If that is the scenario, it sounds as though the distributor drive gear is off by one tooth.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 am

Greetings from a Chilly Lake City,
Well, you are both right. I'll bet it is a tooth off and it is the same problem. The running to a stop with a dry bowl can only be fixed with a fixed or new carb. I will say that carb is excellent when it works. It is by far the best running of the three. We will tap the bowl through this hunting season then either replace or fix it next summer.

I'll get the model of that carb because somehow it doesn't change the OEM manifold to oil bath locations. I know Eddy the Eagle really had a hard time getting it tuned when he installed it. He made several calls to the manufacturer but he did get it tuned expertly.

Plateaucal...you hunting this week? I'll send you axis picks from The Lair, we have a better way to hunt them this year. If not both Patrols seem to running good. Ready with the wrench Rene did some work on Presidio Patrol's transmission and it is shifting faster than EW's answers on whether her plans will require huge tax increases. CCV7 got the brakes adjusted and oil inspected. Apparently nothing out of the ordinary in the oil.

We leave next Saturday. Probably tunnelling back in for Christmas to New Years staycation next.

Patrolling around 10,000' with your parts and prayers,
L60Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

Postby plateaucal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:46 am

David,

We are heading up to the hunting cabin on Thursday. We have a nine day season and I have both an elk and buck tag. As usual I am trying to displace the work load so I can focus on what is truly important; hunting and your Patrol. Please always keep me in the loop regarding happenings at the Lair. At the least I can enjoy these things vicariously. We are only a couple of hours of beautiful driving from you. So if you get an urge for a road trip, dinner is on us.
plateaucal Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks, you are going to have a great week!
L60Boerne Offline

Postby L60Boerne » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 am

Greetings Patrollees Worldwide,

As Christmas nears Santa's Sleigh gets quite a bit of use. Because Santa needs to minimize noise as he flys from house to house a field modification was required to prevent the hood from flexing with each new jolt.

It is not pretty but functional for now. This spring I'll bring it in to replace the NAPA Rochester knock off carb. But untill then the field fix must be quickly removable.

Patrolling today,
L60Boerne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
L60Boerne Offline

Postby Esteban » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am

I think it the idea is great and will do the job flawlessly! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby L60Boerne » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Greetings Patrollees Worldwide,

The vintage Nissan Patrol proved its metal again. If you recall my NEED for the Nissan Patrol revolves around the big brass radiator that almost eliminates over heating while slow rolling around The Lair hunting axis deer in 100 degree heat.

In the last four years I have burned up two new modern motors at The Lair. First, was the custom air cooled motor I had built for my 73 VW Thing motor...now, the Chevy V 6 Chicom motor is toast. After 200 hours of 5 mph trolling it has serious blowby and basically will not operate above idle. It was always a trick to keep it cool while slow rolling even with the custom radiator. I will replace the motor as the Chinese tub is perfect for our hunting needs.

It goes without saying the Patrol has never had a problem with over heating though the manual gearbox is a bit more difficult for hunting but ...it works.

Patrolling when possible,
L60 Boerne
L60Boerne Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Projects