Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby r1lark » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:27 am

Merry Christmas to you also oddbod, and prayers for a speedy recovery in the New Year from your CFS!
Paul
r1lark Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:17 am

Best wishes for you and your for Christmas in into the New Year. Take it slow and easy with the CFS, that's a tough one to beat but you'll get there eventually.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 am

Well folks, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel with this CFS.
It has been a challenge to say the least, but have been looking a round the forum on good days.
The good news is that I have also spent my time wisely and discovered a different style hinge which I decided to try after many mock ups of the original hinge I made with no success.

When I say no success, I really mean not enough improvement for it to work without scraping or binding.
The alternative hinge I plan to use was discovered quite by accident and had been under my arm all this time as it is being used in a console to the side of my TV chair. I rarely open it but was looking for the lost remote controller and opened the lid and the penny dropped.

I thought that discovery was going to be too easy, if it worked.
I took the pair off my console much to my wife's disgust and installed them and made new mounting brackets.
I could not be that lucky of course as they did not work either, but I could see their potential and have started modifying them to see if I could get them to move slightly differently and that is where I am right now.
If this fails I will definitely walk away from the idea of a firewall hinge.

Stay posted... :shhh:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:05 pm

Here is a picture of the hinge I plan to use/modify now.
Since it had no brand name etc on it, I thought I'd never find any information about it.
However the power of the internet and the right choice of search words finally provided me with this picture which is identical to what I had in my console.
I still don't know who makes them or where they are made, but I did end finding a supplier/agent who has them in stock.
They are mainly used in caravans and RV's as a hinge for a bench seat that has a lift up lid that has a storage compartment below it.
No need buy a pair for now until I am sure they will or wont work as required. :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:40 pm

I have started moving forward once more with this hood project and decided to make new hinge pockets which have been welded in, plus set the front lock down pin mechanism in place to set the position of the hood with respect to the engine bay opening.

So far so good and then I will fabricate my modified hinges out of mild steel (prototype) that look to be capable of clearing my firewall.
One needs the patience of Solomon on this project... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:14 pm

I have now made a card board mock up of the basic hinge principle and allowed extra length of arms and the option to re-position pivot points.

As you can see by the number of puncture points in the card board I have just about turned it into Swiss cheese. :lol:

Each time I felt that the pivot points were close to what I sought, I graphed the swing and marked hood angle at specific points.

I have now chosen what I feel is the best possible scenario of pivot points and arm lengths.

Next step is to replicate them in steel and mount them onto the car and see once the hood is attached whether it really does clear and work as anticipated. :?:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Esteban » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 am

Oddbod wrote:I have now made a card board mock up of the basic hinge principle and allowed extra length of arms and the option to re-position pivot points.

As you can see by the number of puncture points in the card board I have just about turned it into Swiss cheese. :lol:

Each time I felt that the pivot points were close to what I sought, I graphed the swing and marked hood angle at specific points....

I think you're on the right track with this setup, and the way you're marking the trajectory of the pivot points. I was going to suggest something in that nature -before looking carefully at your pictures- that once I faced fabricating some folding wooden chairs. It was a simple metal bracket with two pivot points that had to allow the chair to be folded, and also support it when it was fully open. Marking the trajectory allowed me to find the intersection point of the two circles (open and closed) and locate the pivot point. Obviously 100 times less complicated that what you're doing now, but on the same principle.

Sometimes I wonder how the little details (or so we thought) can complicate or project and derail us. You've showed us that this project is probably equal parts of love and patience! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Waiting for the next installment. This is like brain food.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Oddbod » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm

Thanks for your kind words Esteban.
Yes progress can be slow and frustrating at times.
After completing this graphing, I believe I have theoretically at least arrived at my EUREKA moment, but will not be satisfied until the modified hinge is replicated in cold hard steel...

Just for the sake of the record, attached is a pic of my final cardboard pivot points.
You will note;
Blue A - is the marked trajectories at various stages of movement. Important to success of this hinge was to keep the left hand end of the hood attachment point lifting and rising to clear the firewall edge. So too much lift at the RHS would cause the LHS tail edge to drag on the firewall.
Green B - are the new chosen pivot point when compared to the original hinge.
Pink C - are the location of the original hinge pivot points.
Orange D - is the perimeter shape of the original hinge base plate.
Yellow E - indicates a larger base plate size is required to the modified hinge for attaching one of the new pivot points.
Purple F - is a hole in the cardboard used to place a pencil lead into and scribe the arc of each selection of pivot points.

So the original hinge arc was scribed first as the base which I knew was not workable and then each additional point was scribe to compare any improvement against the original arc and that of its trajectories. At the point of the full BLUE line the hood attachment bracket needs to be as flat as possible as it lifts.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:08 am

Well my friends, I am pleased to report that the new hinge works and the hood clears, so let the party begin...
I am totally over the moon with this result.
So high 5's all round I guess.

There is still a lot of fiddly work ahead, but it kinder means more now, that I know it will work and anything I do now will be worth the effort.

I guess the hinge pic and its mounting is self explanatory for you.
It is odd but it works and not as pretty as my first choice.
Pretty is a bit like BS, it only gets you so far...
Oddbod Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:58 am

Congratulations!!! That's fabulous! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I live in a city that is big on classic cars. Once a year - coming up next month actually - they shut down the town and have a huge car show. They've been doing this for decades. I go occasionally to check out the cars, it gets a little boring after the 12th '57 Chevy or '64 Mustang though. But I know I've looked under a hood and seen something similar to this, and wondered "What the...?" Now I know.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior