Bushfires (wildfires) in Australia

Got a condo in the Bahamas for sale? Post it here

Postby Peter60 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:07 am

As I'm sure most of you know Australia has been hit by bushfires for the last few months. You most likely have noted the smoke in the sky!

I live in Canberra (the Capital City). Whilst I haven't been directly affected, in recent weeks we have had smoke pollution (the worst in the world), hot weather (temperatures above 40c - that's 104f), drought but absurdly we had hail - golf ball size driven by strong winds - 1000's of cars were damaged and many written off.

And over the past week we have had fires close by. They moved about 30Km away on the weekend.

This photo was in the local paper.

Burnt Patrol.jpg

I don't know who owned it but Limited Slip (a member of this forum) lives down that way. Hope its not his.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby G60michael » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:04 am

G'day Pete, bloody not wrong about the bush fires mate we had them here late last year, whiped our complete communitys. A huge bush fires pulled right up on our farm boundary mate, we were saves sorely by the Bulldozers working all hours on the contianement lines.

I was out yesterday letter box dropping in the hopes of hearing back about a local G60, on the way there I detoured past a place where there was a light Blue MWB a few years back that I dropped a letter off to hopefully here about it, had a sneaky Sus While I was there at the time, she had a Thomas PTO winch, 250 Falcon Crossflow and a Marks 5 speed gearbox, driving past yesterday no sign of life just the old g60 cooked to bits and the house now a pile of rubble, I never heard back about this G60 such a shame she ended this way.

Here's some other unfortunate Old Girls Taken in to 2019/2020 Bushfire

I have spoken to Kev (limitedSlip) and can confirm it was NOT his g60.
G60michael Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks for the check-in guys. I've been concerned for our members down under knowing about all the bush fires and that some of you are in the areas affected. Living in Southern California I understand first hand the dangers. While the loss of the G60s is truly saddening, the greater loss is to all of the people in the communities hit by the fires. I'm glad to know you're safe.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:58 pm

Peter and Michael,

Very concerned to see all that has happened with the incredible big brush fires your country has endured. The pictures posted are sad. :(

You have been in our thoughts and prayers.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby Peter60 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 am

Just a bit of an update....

Life has returned to normal. All fires out and flooding seems to be over.

A few interesting statistics. 23 Million Hectares burnt (thats 56 million acres) and 1 billion native animals lost.

As I mentioned we were hit by hail in January (mid summer). There were some 20,000 -30,000 vehicles written off. I was driving past some paddocks the other day and found these graveyards.

Hail 1.jpg

Hail 2.jpg

They are just sitting there.... waiting to be assessed by insurance folk. There is 4-6 months just to get your vehicle assesses let alone repaired.

Most are written off and are heading for auctions. See [url]pickles.com.au[/url] There are even new vehicles written off.....

You you can pick up some cheap but bruised vehicles. I'm think of picking up some 4WD (VW Amarock) and putting the engine/drive train into a G60. Well maybe dreaming to have an automatic gearbox for when I can't use a manual :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:26 am

Incredible.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby mdawg4x4 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Peter60 wrote:Just a bit of an update....

They are just sitting there.... waiting to be assessed by insurance folk. There is 4-6 months just to get your vehicle assesses let alone repaired.

Most are written off and are heading for auctions. See [url]pickles.com.au[/url] There are even new vehicles written off.....

You you can pick up some cheap but bruised vehicles. I'm think of picking up some 4WD (VW Amarock) and putting the engine/drive train into a G60. Well maybe dreaming to have an automatic gearbox for when I can't use a manual :o

Interesting thought!

My son rolled his 2003 Nissan Frontier with 3.3L gas engine and 5-speed. He has always wanted to make an offroad truggy out of it but hasn't. He recently decided to sell it. I mentioned keeping it to put the 3.3L and 5-speed into one of my Patrols, but he wasn't interested in THAT much work.
63 Nissan Patrol project, 1967 Nissan Patrol, 2012 Nissan Xterra (daughter's), 2017 Jeep JKUR, 1998 Jeep TJ
mdawg4x4 Offline

Return to Everything Else