Cadflat Bead Roller Project.

Got rust? Seats, panels, doors, windows, etc. The old messages from the NPCA 'Body & Interior' category are here.

Postby Oddbod » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:54 am

I am just so pleased to over this hurdle and able to move forward again.

Next step is to get the lock down latch completed and install a safety latch as per normal car hood.

Then scribe the front and rear edges to produce a consistent gap between hood and body.

I looking forward to cutting the opening and pressing the outer skin and fitting the two together.

Do doubt with my luck there will be some additional hurdles but who cares now, I can see the light in the end of the tunnel...

About your city, I have been there once a ways back and have a guy on another Forum who I plan to catch up with he has a 1959 F100 and I own a similar vehicle which I have done a lot of work on.
Maybe when I am in your neck of the woods we could get a hand shake in also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:11 am

Oddbod wrote:About your city, I have been there once a ways back and have a guy on another Forum who I plan to catch up with he has a 1959 F100 and I own a similar vehicle which I have done a lot of work on.
Maybe when I am in your neck of the woods we could get a hand shake in also.

It would be an honor.
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oddbod » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:16 pm

Like wise amigo.
As soon as it is safe to travel I will be planning a trip over.
Right now both exchange rate and virus pose concerns for me and any travelling.
It seems like this virus thing is going to get much worse before it gets better.

I feel some countries have a poor culture and attitude towards compliance and some Govt's also are poor managers during these times which if so will let the rest of the global community down badly.

I read where they were saying that animals that had been used for experiment purposes in the bio chemical facility in Wuhan were being taken when finished with by staff down to the local market and sold them as a side line business.

Others say that the drop dead virus got out and the corona virus was released to cover up the accident release of the drop dead virus.
We have not seen any cases of the drop dead virus outside China.
Which makes things all the more curious.

I am not trying to start a debate here, but felt a need to express what I have picked up.
All I can say is stock up on provisions and keep some cash at home just in case...
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:28 pm

Dear friends and fellow Forum members interested in my project pursuits, I am sorry for the delays in posting progress, but progress has been slow.
I do have some more material to post soon, I am held up again by my laser cutting guy as you may recall this happened previously.
Any way stay posted as I will have fresh up to date pic's very soon. :oops: :oops: :oops:

In the meantime, as you may be aware I have a number of YouTube videos listed and some of which have been well accepted.
I do not derive any payment or income from these but do like to see them front and center so that they are easily accessed by interested folks.

If you care to see what I am talking about you can just GOOGLE the following. Cadflat Video Series

Once there, you can click on any of the 5 videos I have up loaded and I would ask that you kindly hit the SUBCRIBE button on one or all of them.

By subscribing it helps keep these videos front and center which from my point of view would be very helpful to the cause.

If you do feel inclined to support this request, then I thank you very much indeed.

Your support is what provides me with the motivation to keep finding topics of interest to post... :D :D :D
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Well, I now have my new stainless steel laser cut hinge components and I have assembled them.
I still have some finish welding to do but for the sake of showing them here is what we have.

One pic is of the prototype (with spring attached) and the other of the stainless hinge still requiring the spring.

I am now in the process of trying to get the inner and outer skins to match up ready for attaching them to form one unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:19 am

I think that I have become a little lazy during this current lock down and my old age.

I have spent quite a bit of time fooling around with the sheet metal portion of my hood project with little to show for it.

I have removed all the surface rust from both sides of the inner and spent much time test fitting the inner and outer skins to a point where I am happy with the fit. I have tried to ensure that one skin is not stressing the other and the fix is more a naturally compatible.

I have gone over the inner and tried to remove or should I say reduce the number of highs and lows in the sheet metal.

Since the outer face of the inner sheet is not seen, I have basically ensure it is flat or with only lows that I can fill with body filler.
Body filler is a necessary evil IMHO and I always aim to use the minimal amount.

While the outer surface of the inner skin has been primed and painted roughly with some old spray can paint I have no further use for and decided to use it up as a rust preventative.

The inner face of the inner skin is coming along nicely, considering my skill level and next week I hope to be ready to purchase some spray on primer high fill that will hopefully remove most of the minor scores and marks in preparation for further work later.

Next steps will be to cut the air cleaner opening in the outer skin and press the lip into it and the do some more body filler work in readiness for the mating of the two skins to make the hood.

Sorry having trouble loading some of the pic's so laid the sideways.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Progress has been slow, I have focused on other stuff as I am in the process of losing a finger nail due to mis-adventure in my shop.
I also had to do some slight re-work to the outer on one side to improve things.

Recently I have cut out the twin carb opening in the outer panel and prepared it and installed this panel into my die ready for pressing.
I am already to press it now, but remain at the mercy of the guy who owns the press that has the throat capacity to accept my job.
Turns out he is really busy right now being one of the rare business's that has seemingly benefitted form the Covid19 out break.
His business is working 7 days per week at double shifts.

I say good for him and I can wait.
However, I will look else where in the meantime if I can find another press capable of taking my job.
It is a really simple exercise with the press and only takes one go at it and it is done...

I actually feel happy for this press guy as he has struggled to survive in his business for years and I wondered if the virus event could be enough to close his business for good, but to his surprise it has done the opposite, he definitely deserves it.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:50 am

Well, I decided I could not wait for access to my buddies press.
I found a brick garage door opening with a high gable over head and a steel lintel supporting it all and it had a good concrete floor.

I took a bottle jack and cut a length of 2 inch pipe, capped the ends, placed the jack on my die setup, levelled it up and jacked away.
I watched as I raised the wall while jacking.
No just joking, the die pressed nice and slowly.
There was a fair weight of bricks and roof above.
It got a little off square early, but a big hammer sorted that out and the pressing was done in a couple of minutes.
I am happy with the result and so now will continue on as planned.
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 am

Just a change of pace for a few minutes...

Anybody know this hot rod or has more pic's of it, particularly the front. :think:
Any details appreciated. :?:

Russ. :pray:
Oddbod Offline

Postby Oddbod » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Found it...

This sedan was built by the auto body class at Washtenaw Community College MI, and also received a Street Rodder top 100 pick as well.
They build some great cars over there.

Some additional pic's can be found here.

https://www.facebook.com/teamwcc/posts/10157186917934820?hc_location=ufi

THE FUTURE OF HOT RODDING

Posted on May 2, 2019, 10:58 pm, by Nick Avgeres, under News

As long-time hot rodders, this is one of those stories that truly warms our hearts and assures us that the future of hot rodding is alive and well. The story begins with Washtenaw Community College and Shadow Rods in Michigan who set out to work with this year’s students to build what they considered to be the ultimate street rod. The subject of the project – a classic Ford Model A. The goal of the program is to provide students the opportunity to learn and develop skills within the automotive trades, including mechanical, electrical, fabrication and welding, machining, collision course, and custom body and paint courses to coincide with the complete vehicle build.

Throughout the course of the project, the students honed their skills and put them to the test on the Model A as they prepared to debut the vehicle at the 2019 Detroit Autorama car show. The goal for the finished vehicle was a show-worthy appearance and, we have to say, they absolutely nailed it. The exterior of the vehicle, which dons a custom-mixed color hand-selected by the instructors and students, looks simply stunning. While the vehicle has a few final details to be finished, the class met its goal and displayed the vehicle at this year’s Detroit Autorama as planned.

That front axle must be an optical illusion as front pic shows that it is under the cross member and not in front as it seems to appear in the side pic... :?:

The hood also looks longer than stock, but that too maybe an illusion.
Great hot rod and a credit to those who built it. :clap:
Oddbod Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Interior