L60-00511-The "El Bondo Patrol" rises from the ashes...

Builds, refurbishments, restorations, upgrades

Postby Esteban » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 am

Everything looking tops! Congratulations.

Did you change the U-joints, and if so, are they original parts?
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby poinrobe » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 am

Looks great. This thread is an inspiration for me to keep forging ahead on my 1966. Cant wait to see what it looks like when it is all done!
poinrobe Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….

Postby moore_rb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Esteban wrote:Did you change the U-joints, and if so, are they original parts?

All my U-joints are restored originals. I disassembled the 20 I had, soaked everything in degreaser for a week, then took the 12 best crosses and the 48 best bearing caps and built 12 good U joints for my 3 Patrol projects. All the crosses got a coat of paint, and a new grease zerk

I had enough pieces left over to build a few spares, too... While any rusted, pitted crosses and cups, and all worn out needle bearings got tossed.

Why go through all this effort, instead of just swapping them out for a set of new 1330 U joints at $20 apiece, you ask? Simple- Modern U Joints are all crap. Even Spicer sold out and is sourcing most of theirs from China now.

The originals are way higher quality- Stronger, beefier center crosses (more metal, less hollow full of grease, and larger diameter roller bearings) if they can be rebuilt, then rebuild them.

Ditto for the driveshafts themselves- Only the 6 with the tightest splines and the least slop in the slip yokes are being used on the project trucks.
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Online

Administrator
Administrator

Postby L60Boerne » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm with you Rob, the new stuff is shameful.
L60Boerne
63 Soft Top - Command & Control Vehicle 5 (CCV5)
65 No Top - Presidio Patrol
65 No Top - Santa's Sleigh
66 Hard Top - Might be for Sale
L60Boerne Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby PetrolPatrol » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 am

moore_rb wrote:
jwgreen wrote:Here's your drawing Rob :teasing-neener: , granted you didn't provide proper dimensions :roll: and I didn't go out and measure anything :shock: so I S.W.A.G.'d it. :shifty: :shifty:

Center to center bolt spacing for the two 1/4 inch bolts on the front plate, to fit the Protex (or Willwood, or Tilton) MC: 1-3/8"
Center to center bolt spacing for the two 5/16 inch bolts on the rear plate to fit the stock firewall holes: 1-5/8" (stock Tokiko MC bolt pattern)

center pipe ID: 1-1/4"

I'd pay 5 dollars to know why Nissan decided in 1960 that the Patrol should have a unique, non-standard master cylinder bolt pattern that doesn't even jive with any other NISSAN product, let alone any other master cylinder anywhere in the known Universe... It is (to me) by far the weirdest of the many weird little design quirks inherent to these machines...

Wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to have the original holes welded and then mount the new MC than have a custom bracket made? The bracket will extend the pushrod measurements and make it look less "stock" than welding. I ask in part because I need to do the same thing and I've been thinking about it during this COVID break.
PetrolPatrol Offline

Postby moore_rb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to have the original holes welded and then mount the new MC than have a custom bracket made? The bracket will extend the pushrod measurements and make it look less "stock" than welding. I ask in part because I need to do the same thing and I've been thinking about it during this COVID break.

Actually, the spacer is needed because the Protex MC plunger is shallower than the stock Tokico MC plunger, so the MC needs to be about 1" off the firewall in order to use the stock length pushrod

Your idea could work if you shortened the pushrod, and yes it would be quicker/easier/cheaper.

For my build, I didn't want to modify the firewall or the pushrod. If someone wanted to go back to a 100% factory MC on my Patrol in the future, they could do it by simply unbolting the spacer, and then installing a stock MC and changing the brake lines back to stock
"Saving the world- One Patrol at a time..."

ImageImageImageImage
moore_rb Online

Administrator
Administrator

Postby PetrolPatrol » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 pm

moore_rb wrote:

Actually, the spacer is needed because the Protex MC plunger is shallower than the stock Tokico MC plunger, so the MC needs to be about 1" off the firewall in order to use the stock length pushrod

Your idea could work if you shortened the pushrod, and yes it would be quicker/easier/cheaper.

For my build, I didn't want to modify the firewall or the pushrod. If someone wanted to go back to a 100% factory MC on my Patrol in the future, they could do it by simply unbolting the spacer, and then installing a stock MC and changing the brake lines back to stock

I gotcha. It also looks like you can basically do a lot of it yourself while in my case anything custom would have to be paid for. Regardless, looking at your earlier posts in here have been a big help in planning things out for me, so thanks.
PetrolPatrol Offline

Previous

Return to Projects