Telluride Patrol

Events, trips, get togethers, car shows, etc.

Postby plateaucal » Thu May 21, 2020 9:58 am

Let's assume that the vehicle was just parked there for no other reason than the owner stopped using it. Or maybe it was a small issue that cannot be readily fixed in a mountain town back in the seventies or eighties. Could it still run and maybe....well you know.
plateaucal Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby moore_rb » Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 am

plateaucal wrote:The question is; what is it worth? $500, $1000. It couldn't be much more.

It's "worth" whatever the right buyer is willing to pay, matched up to whatever the current owner is willing to accept...

"Value" depends on the condition of the powertrain - 2 minutes would determine if the engine turns, and if it does, one additional hour to pull plugs and check for compression in all 6...

If the engine makes compression, then it can be made to run. That's the difference between a Patrol that might be worth maybe 750-1000 as it sits (my armchair estimate), versus one that could be worth 1800-2000.

From what I see, this one has little going for it besides the rarity of being an early softtop, and the number of rare parts still present (mirrors, seats, early door handles (if they work) wheels, one hubcap, one glass turn signal, etc...

But, I will reflect on the philosophy I repeat over and over again with my nephews every time they text me a photo of something they find sitting out in the desert under a tree... "Just because it's old and rare, doesn't mean its valuable..." Value returns when it can once again regain it's primary purpose as an operational machine, and a driveable motor-vehicle."

There probably isn't much value sitting there, body-wise. The tub is a yellow flag- Visible rust holes are like small portals looking into a much nastier alternate Universe. Once I see rust-through anywhere on the body, I immediately go for the frame- body rust is all cosmetic. Frame and chassis rust are legitimate danger-signals.

The tub rust probably indicates that the firewall is also cancerous-That's an iffy proposition as well.

If you are hemming and hawing about whether you really want to buy it- Then start hemming and hawing on whether or not you want to SAVE it. Don't buy it on the off chance that someone else might come along some day to take it off your hands and save it... Instead, just keep the owner's contact info to pass along to them when that day comes... JMHO ;)

plateaucal wrote:Robert, buy that one in Pagosa. I think it is still available. I accidentally texted the seller and the price is still $7600 and it needs to be gone! That's about 9 hours from Phoenix.

Yeah, no.

No, no, no, no no....

No.
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby plateaucal » Thu May 21, 2020 8:58 pm

Yep, no. Rather go catfishing.
plateaucal Offline

Postby Daner » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Great pics, thanks for posting. Looks like it needs a rescue. Hopefully it will find a home!
Daner Offline

So, I just bought this Patrol….
So, I just bought this Patrol….

Previous

Return to Out and About