I hit the "frustration stage" today

General chatter, gossip, gab, hot air, rap session, etc.

Postby faux40 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:38 pm

offroadkid wrote:Neat stuff!! And yes, I think a NorCal Patrol Party would be fun! I mean, we're only a half an hour away from each other!!

Keep in mind that it's 90-minutes away at Patrol speed ;-)
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby miller » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Don't get disheartened mate. Keep driving the boots off the Patrol and enjoy! Spend time fixing or improving little things. I can tell you it's a hell of a lot more fun to be out there driving then elbow deep in a frame off resto that to be honest may or may not get finished.
I can't quite tell from the photos but a lot of those rubber flares have a hollow rib/lip. Get some wire to match the diameter and feed it in the length of the flare. This will allow you to shape the flare and put a little lead back in the pencil ;)

Remember we've all been there or going through it too. Keep posting these little niggles and we'll all help you out.
Good luck!
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

I love driving my Patrol!
I love driving my Patrol!

Postby rjiggy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:27 pm

faux40 wrote:
offroadkid wrote:Neat stuff!! And yes, I think a NorCal Patrol Party would be fun! I mean, we're only a half an hour away from each other!!

Keep in mind that it's 90-minutes away at Patrol speed ;-)

That would be two hours from Dunnigan, oh wait, slip it into overdrive, back to a one hour trip. Count me in!
rjiggy Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby faux40 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 pm

moore_rb wrote:Me and my 62 softie will be there! I'll go start pushing it now.... Grapevine hill's gonna be a real pain in the butt...

But, downhill on the Grapevine will be a thrill! While speeding down that monster, you can thank the engineers for NOT installing power assist brakes! ;-)

If you do make it (by make it, I mean not ending up a crumpled ball-o-sheetmetal at the bottom), you are most welcome to join us!

John
faux40 Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flaggoni » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:33 am

Grapevine Memories! (Starring 1200cc L320 Datsun pickup)
'Twas mid 70s. I drove from Ventura to Fresno State many times.
The goal each northbound trip was to reach the 'Slow Trucks' sign before downshifting to 2nd (of four).
My , now, wife would say, "Don't let her see the sign!",sure that poor old Blue would be further disheartened.
512 rear axle gearing = not quite fast. Summertime required the heater be on full-blast to prevent overheating.
Roller coaster soundtrack would be at the "click, click, click, click" stage.
Then...after summating...put her in neutral for the "cannonball run" portion !
Yeah, it's kinda pathetic to admit the fastest your vehicle has ever gone was coasting.
But, to dig a little, many of you have had
your fastest Patrol moments while on a trailer...
By the way, my little 64 Datsun pickup continues to live out its days in the Mountain-Deprived state of Oklahoma.
Flaggoni Offline

Postby moore_rb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:14 am

Flaggoni wrote: it's kinda pathetic to admit the fastest your vehicle has ever gone was coasting.
But, to dig a little, many of you have had your fastest Patrol moments while on a trailer...

HAHA - Yes, My green El Paso Patrol has actually gone 80 MPH... But it was doing the magic carpet ride behind a Ford Diesel at the time.
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby nizmut » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Flaggoni wrote:Grapevine Memories! (Starring 1200cc L320 Datsun pickup)
'Twas mid 70s. I drove from Ventura to Fresno State many times.
The goal each northbound trip was to reach the 'Slow Trucks' sign before downshifting to 2nd (of four).
My , now, wife would say, "Don't let her see the sign!",sure that poor old Blue would be further disheartened.
512 rear axle gearing = not quite fast. Summertime required the heater be on full-blast to prevent overheating.
Roller coaster soundtrack would be at the "click, click, click, click" stage.
Then...after summating...put her in neutral for the "cannonball run" portion !
Yeah, it's kinda pathetic to admit the fastest your vehicle has ever gone was coasting.
But, to dig a little, many of you have had
your fastest Patrol moments while on a trailer...
By the way, my little 64 Datsun pickup continues to live out its days in the Mountain-Deprived state of Oklahoma.

Those are way better then waking up in a sleeper doing 67 mph with 24 tons of Rosarita's Refries pushing you down the vine :shock:
That was the night I learned I was not cut out for over the road team driving.
Now my Patrol I have winched, pushed, trailered, but never drove. But I did get to see one of the spit rim mounted tires fly out the back door and off the trailer when we went and got it. I just re clocked the inside handle last weekend so it wont pop open again.
Robin
nizmut Offline

Previous

Return to Bull Session