New Member - North Carolina USA

New members, tell us about yourself and your Patrol. Don't be shy!

Postby r1lark » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi, new member to 60PATROL.com, but not a new Patrol person. Drove one extensively in 1976 thru 1977, technically it was my dad's then. Now it's mine, but needs a good bit of work due to not being driven in 25+ years.

I was a member of the old Albuquerque Patrol site, but was not active.

Have spent some time looking over the 60Patrol forum, and it's a really great one! Lots of good info, and I'm glad to see the info from the Albuquerque site has been saved also. Seems like a great group here, with everyone excited about Patrols.

Info on my Patrol:
Short wheelbase
Soft top
Color: red
Serial Number: L60 2 00655

The Patrol is stored about 90 miles away, so I will get a picture of the serial number plate the next chance I get, so it can be included in the Registry. In the meantime, here is a picture of it in 1971:

Here are two more pics, the assembly on the front is part of the Western Snowplow setup. The young guy (then) is my nephew in 1987, and the couple in the Patrol are my parents in the early '80s:

One thing I am looking for are pictures of the original Nissan/Datsun tools (hand tools, lug wrench, jack, and hand crank) that would have come with this Patrol. They are not in the Patrol (in fact, never remember any) but may be mixed in with all the rest of dad's tools. I've used the search function but could not find this info.....but it's probably on the site somewhere. Will start a new thread on this subject tonight.

Look forward to interacting with many of you, especially once the work begins on it's revival. Thanks to all of you for this great site!
Paul
r1lark Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby moore_rb » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Wow- What an introduction- Welcome Paul !

How awesome to have a Patrol (or any vehicle) with so much family history... Very cool.

Regarding tools - Your timing is perfect- I have done about 20 hours of research over the past 2 weeks (with the help of RiverPatrol) on the tools subject, as well... (Coincidentally, I am also restoring a 62 soft top Patrol ;) )

Here are some of the images I have scraped up:

Here is the tool kit from RiverPatrol's red 66 Patrol:

There are close ups of specific tools in her gallery here: gallery/album.php?album_id=92

Here is an original Takubo hydraulic bottle jack from 2869ral's Patrol (his Patrol has also been in his family since the 60's):

Jack.jpg

and some old photos of the toolbox itself: The early style (with squares embossed on the sides and top):

Patrol-EarlyToolbox.jpg

and the later (seems like about mid66- and later) style, with smooth sides:

LaterToolBox.png

Welcome to the forum..!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImageImage

L-R:
White 65 Hardtop L60-3-00617 (undergoing restoration)
Red 65 hardtop 4L60-002565 (scrapped for parts)
66 Hardtop "El-Bondo Patrol", L60-00511 (Restored, then sold June2020)
Blue 67 Hardtop (sold March1997)
Green 62 Softtop L60-2-00504 (undergoing restoration)
moore_rb Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby r1lark » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks moore_rb, this is exactly what I needed!
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol! :text-welcomeconfetti: Nice to see another family Patrol. Your dad was a real renegade, owning Datsuns in the south was unusual. That was a nice 510 parked in front of the Patrol. Do you still have that, too?

Robert got you started on your tool search. Don't hesitate to ask questions, someone here will usually have an answer and be glad to help.

There are a handful of people from the old Patrol Club of Albuquerque around, and others drop in from time to time. Good to have you here, too. :D
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Postby Esteban » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Welcome to 60Patrol!
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby ratpatrol66 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:50 am

Those are some great old pictures. Thanks for sharing, and Welcome to 60 Patrol.
ratpatrol66 Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…
You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby r1lark » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:07 am

Thanks for all the welcomes folks!

RiverPatrol, my dad was a Datsun dealer until late '69 on Long Island (NY), so that's one reason we had several Datsuns. He had to move from the cold north for health reasons related to WWII injuries, thus the move to North Carolina.

The 510 4 door/auto trans car was actually my grandmother's, who lived with us in NC. I later drove that car for many miles (converted to 4-speed ;) ) until about 1983. We no longer have the car. My mom drove a '68 510 station wagon with 4-speed for a number of years - see pic attached below. In my youth, I was heavy into Datsun 510s, and did many BRE-type mods to them. The 510s were really great raw material for modifications, were inexpensive compared to the 240Z cars, and responded very well to simple upgrades.

Look closely in front of the 510, and you will see a red '67 Datsun 411SSS with the dual carb 1600 engine. That was one of my dad's favorite cars.

Again, thanks for all the nice welcomes. I look forward to getting started on this project, but due to other projects currently in the queue (a '66 Toyota Crown, and several Studebakers) it will probably be sometime next year before work actually starts. But getting involved in this forum will help me get up to speed on parts availability, problem areas, and restoration techniques on Patrols.

Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby miller » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:44 am

Welcome. Those old photos are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
1964 MWB Soft top Patrol - 1972 MWB Soft top Patrol "Diablo" - 1977 MWB V8 "Mr Muck" - 1978 G60 Patrol Ute "HP"
miller Offline

Postby r1lark » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks miller for the welcome. I'm still looking for more old pictures - there is one somewhere of me in the Patrol when I was driving it every day circa '76/'77.

I've been looking thru the old posts to learn more about parts availability, problem areas, and restoration techniques of the Patrol. Was surprised to find that the soft top Patrols are not as numerous/available as the hardtops. We had always talked about finding a junkyard Patrol that we could get the hardtop off of to retrofit ours. Sounds like it probably should stay as a soft top.

Guess that explains why replacement soft tops are not available, just not enough of a market? Unfortunately we no longer have the original soft top for patterns, so not sure what I will do there. :(
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby RiverPatrol » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:35 am

Funny you should mention that. Patience... :shhh:
Beyond any hope for intervention

RiverPatrol Offline

Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!