How-to: Convert to Pertronix electronic ignition

Flames? Lights wiring, alternator/generator, etc.

Postby rdarnell » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:50 am

Curiosity is killing me so i might have to order both. I have found both on Ebay and they both have a return policy so I might just have to order them both and see what the differences are. Looking at the parts catalogs it would appear that part 22100-C0601 is the current replacement for Hitachi D610-58 non waterproof distributor used on the Patrols. If so then it would make sense that the base would work correctly without the 10 degree problem that the later P40 distributor has. It is only money so I guess I will have to cut back a little on my meth consumption to afford it! (HA HA)> I will post photos and additional comments once I do this, unless additional info come to light.
rdarnell Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby Esteban » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:34 pm

rdarnell wrote:Curiosity is killing me so i might have to order both. I have found both on Ebay and they both have a return policy so I might just have to order them both and see what the differences are. Looking at the parts catalogs it would appear that part 22100-C0601 is the current replacement for Hitachi D610-58 non waterproof distributor used on the Patrols. If so then it would make sense that the base would work correctly without the 10 degree problem that the later P40 distributor has. It is only money so I guess I will have to cut back a little on my meth consumption to afford it! (HA HA)> I will post photos and additional comments once I do this, unless additional info come to light.

I have this link from Helmar saved, with a current price of $103.40:
https://www.helmarparts.com/22100-C7000 ... -c7000.htm

Years ago in my 65, I changed the distributor to the newer one (then!) The timing marks were different, but with some tweaking of the plate at the base of the distributor, everything was good.

CFCpatrol wrote:I just replaced my distributor with the forklift distributor shown in the thread. I did the electronic conversion, coil and wires and it really made a big difference. The problem I ran into is that the new distributor is about 10 degrees out of phase with the old distributor which means that the locking bolt is runs into the end of the slot before I get the timing adjusted to where it needs to be. Anyone else run into this problem and/or have a solution?

Esteban wrote:I do remember from years, years ago that I ran into this problem.

When Nissan came out with this model of distributor, they also modified the base, with it pointing straight out, and not at a slight angle like the other. That the explanation for your out of phase. The distributor is attached to a plate that in turn is the one that is bolted to the base at the engine; this base can be rotated a little bit but probably not enough for what you need. I think that in my case I drilled another hole in the engine base. I no longer have that base, and the one I have was made by a machine shop at that time, since I couldn't find a spare base.

One way will be to modify the hole in the plate. Another, could be that our friends in Australia send you a used base for this distributor.

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow to show you what I have. I know that the route of a machine shop can be too expensive. I did mine years ago in Ecuador, when this type of labor was reasonable.

There are a couple of members that have installed the forklift distributor, and hopefully can shed some light on their solution.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Helping others revive their Patrol…
Helping others revive their Patrol…

Postby rdarnell » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:06 pm

if the C0601 distributor does not work out I will just modify my base and use the C7000 distributor. The 1973 parts catalog shows this, and that is what has started my query.
rdarnell Offline

Postby Colin » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:54 am

Recently bought 1966 patrol. The distributor was missing so I bought an 22100-c7000 from Helmer. When I pulled the plug out of th block I discovered that something was amiss. So now I’m searching for the drive and mounting bracket. I’ll also orders the electronic ignition and am wondering if you know of a water tight conversation for this distributor. ( I’ve had it to long to return. )thanks
Colin Offline

Lurker
Lurker

Postby rdarnell » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:17 am

Not sure if you can make them water proof. You would have to seal it up but it might not be impossible. Just dont forget to vent the distributor.
rdarnell Offline

Postby rdarnell » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Looks like there are 2 different distributor bases according to my 1965 parts catalog. Part Number 22178-58100 looks to be the base for the Hitachi D608-51 and part number 22178-43800 would be the correct base for the Hitachi D608-02 water protect distributor. From earlier posts it would appear the most US Patrols came with the water protect style of distributor.

I was able to find and print out a picture of the 22178-58100 and compare it to my distributor base. The picture is not to scale but for appearance only. Placing them in about the same pose I see some big differences, mainly in how the distributor is locked down. The water protect model has the pointer mounted to the distributor and 2 locking bolts underneath while the non protected distributor has the pointer attached to a separate piece and uses an eccentric advance bolt on the top side.

In addition I looked at the timing marks in respect to the mounting holes to the block. The center on the water protect style is at about 110 degrees and the other is at 100 degrees which would support that 10 degree adjustment problem when using the later C7000 distributor in the water protect mount. I am also kind of suspecting that there might not be much difference in the mounting of the C0601 and C7000 distributors.
rdarnell Offline

Previous

Return to Electrical