VW TDI Engine Swap

Upgrades, downgrades, modernizations, alterations or just being creative.

Postby mad4hws » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:58 am

I'm going to start a new thread on this since the old thread started out with the assumption that I would be going the Cummins route for a diesel conversion. However, the more research I did, I realized that the VW TDI engine is a very popular conversion for jeeps, so I figure it should be a really good option for the Patrol. The biggest challenge is that I want to keep all of my running gear the same - transmission, transfer case, axles, so how to mate up the stock G60 transmission with the VW TDI engine? I need an adapter plate of course! But, none exist for the Patrol. I reached out to some folks north of the border in British Columbia. Last year I sent them an engine, fly wheel and bell housing from the stock motor and waited..... and waited.... and waited... But, alas, this week I was sent the CAD drawings for this project. It consists of an adapter plate and a crank housing. These parts are being machined currently and Reid at TD Conversions has said that he will send some pictures of it as it goes through the manufacturing process.
mad4hws Offline

I love driving my Patrol!

Postby Esteban » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:18 am

Excellent! This is going to be a must see thread for all of us. Lots of things to learn. Thanks.
Owner of the same Patrol since 1967
Esteban Offline

Patrol Fanatic!
Patrol Fanatic!

Postby mad4hws » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Quick Update. I have found an engine builder: Kraftwerke in Massachussettes: http://www.kraftwerke1.com/. There are several different TDI versions. Preliminarily we have decided to go with one of the earlier models. If we were after horsepower and options for electronic tuning, we would have gone for a later model; however, the later models are apparently somewhat finicky if they get bad fuel whereas the newer models aren't so much. Kraftwerke is going to start building the ALH version, which should be completed right about the time I get the adapter plate in from British Columbia. Stay tuned....
mad4hws Offline

Postby r1lark » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:22 am

Great project! How does the torque output of the VW engine compare to the original Patrol engine?
Paul
r1lark Offline

You know you own a Patrol when…

Postby mad4hws » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:12 am

r1lark wrote:Great project! How does the torque output of the VW engine compare to the original Patrol engine?

The torque we talked abut was ~350 ft lbs. They think they can deliver that and 170hp-180hp without much tuning. Both of these are substantial upgrades from the original motor. The weight of the motor will be substantially less as well. Hopefully when we're done the engine compartment doesn't look too empty.
mad4hws Offline

Postby r1lark » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:44 pm

Wow, that will be a healthy engine!!
Paul
r1lark Offline

Postby ZahraM5 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:08 pm

I just changed mine and am not so happy tbh. I wish I have such a skill. Good job!
ZahraM5 Offline

Lurker
Lurker

Postby TD Conversions » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:31 pm

Hello everyone! This is Reid from TD Conversions. The Volkswagen TDI to Patrol adapter kit was completed this summer and is now in the possession of mad4hws. Here are some teaser videos and photos of the adapter kit. Turn up the volume and turn on your smoke filtering glasses.

I will make a dedicated post on all the features of the kit and how it all works and a link to mad4hws' build thread.

You can also check out our website for more info.
https://tdconversions.com/en-ca/collections/nissan/products/vw-1-9-2-0l-tdi-to-nissan-4-0l-60-series-patrol-g60-adapter-kit

First startup:

Transmission plate with starter motor teaser:
https://youtube.com/shorts/EtK2Huf9Geo?feature=share
TD Conversions Offline

Patrol Newbie
Patrol Newbie

Postby Peter60 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:29 am

HI Reid.

I am really positive about doing a TDI swap for my G60 Patrol. I'm hoping of getting something working next year. I'm currently looking for a VW with a ALH TDI engine that I can cannibalise. That way I get the engine, electronics and various other bits.

However I have a couple of questions for you.

There are lots of optional components on your web site. What concerns me most is the engine mounts. You have a couple of options but which works with the Patrol? What about the other options - oil filter extenders etc. Are they necessary for the Patrol or are they for Jeeps etc?

The conversion kit allows you to mount the engine at varying degrees. Again is this necessary for the Patrol.

And the one that scares me the most is electronics for the TDI. What required to make the TDI reliable?

I realise of course that TD Conversions just built the adaptor, and doesn't have experience is the installation. So maybe I should be directing these questions elsewhere maybe to mad4hws.

Any help appreciated.

Peter
Not sure if I will get there.
Not sure if I will get back.
But I usually do!!!
Peter60 Offline

Return to Modifications